Monday, August 22, 2011

Tennis = Love.


Whenever I enter a tennis court, something inside me happens, something magical. Yes, a feeling of excitement, you could call it. Tennis is THE BEST sport, ever. Yes. It is something that gives me satisfaction. My day is incomplete without the one and a half hour of practice. I might hate the scorching heat and might crib about it to the coach, but I still love each and every second of that one and a half hour.

Whenever I have to play a match, I am VERY tense and worried about what the situation will be like if I lose (Yes, I am a pessimist :P). I think about how everyone will read about it in the next day's paper. My self esteem before a match is at it's lowest. The first thing I do when I see my opponent is guess about how good her game is. The racket. The physique. The appearance. The calf muscles (:P). The kit. Everything matters and after analyzing her completely I start warming up. 2 rounds. Stretches. And then I enter the court, a little confident. And little hopeful. A little scared. VERY nervous. But as the warm up starts, I ease down. The comforting smile on mum's face adds to the confidence and I'm assured that I can do it. She always says that winning and losing is a part of life and take it as it comes. But after losing a match, you ARE disappointed, it doesn't matter if you lost from a very good player. Disappointment still creeps. It's true.

I'm not VERY tense while playing AITA matches, but playing for your school is a complete different story. I remember the inter-school matches last year, the doubles match. HORRID. We lost from the match point. :| Our teacher giving instructions and guiding us all along. Other 3 faces looking at us with hope. Cheering as loud as they could. Parents and team mates of the opponents trying to bring down our self-esteem. But we in full concentration, fully focused on the rallies, continue to play. The pressure was SO much. We didn't have to let down our teacher, our team-mates or school. But, sometimes your best ain't enough. And we lost. FROM 2 POINTS. That's why I hate tie-breaks. With a difference of 2 points, you can lose a whole match. Not fair -.-

Matches and practice is very different, according to me and in a match, you can only give 50% of what you can give at the time of practicing. True story. The pressure is so much. :|

If I say that winning is not on my mind while playing, it'd be an utter lie. C'mon, who doesn't like to win? Who doesn't like to brag about how they won a very tough match? Who doesn't like to give that grin to their opponent after winning? Who doesn't like to go and report to the referee that they have won the match? At least, I do. :D

After effects of losing- not very good :p But, it's okaaaay. I mean, you can't win ALL the matches, can you? So yeah, take it a positive way and try to give your 200% in the next match. That is going to be my motto from now on :P

One thing I've learnt- that match ain't over until you shake hands with your opponent. NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER EVER EVER. You can win. I've won matches no one thought I would. All you need is determination and a little bit of hope. And if you have that in you, nothing can strike you off. :)

So,

Never let the fear of losing keep your from playing the game.

Love your game.

Play it.

Feel it.

Win it.

But most of all,

Enjoy it.

Adios! :)





No comments:

Post a Comment